The Baby Drop-In Program will be open Thursday Dec. 14th for the last session before the holidays. Program will reopen on January 5, 2017.
The last day for Family Drop-In is Thursday, December 21 - AM Drop-In only.
December 21 (afternoon) - January 1: The Family Centre will be CLOSED for Winter Holidays. We will be reopen on Tuesday, January 2 with regular program hours.
Thank you to those who filled out our annual survey. We appreciate all your feedback. Here are some program responses to your inquiries and statements:
For Family Drop-In Program
1. More books that describe diverse families
- Staff will be purchasing some new books for the child and adult library. Stay tuned! Any parent suggestions are always welcomed.
2. Infant Program 2 times a week - We are unable to expand our program due to funding and time, however, here are some other Baby Drop-In and Regular Family Drop-In Programs in the community:
- You and your infant are welcome to attend our regular drop-in hours, where we provide a baby space downstairs and babies can go upstairs during singing time.
- Raven Song Community Health Centre
- Creekside Community Centre - Infant Sing and Grow Program (scheduled program)
- Mount Pleasant Neighbourhood House - Just Play! Family Drop-In
3. Garden program outside - We do offer a family garden program in the summer. We usually look for interested families in the spring via newsletter or face to face. Please talk to Flora if you are interested in gardening.
4. Parents could re-do some parenting courses - Please talk with staff regarding specific interest.
- Retaking in the Circle of Security and Neufeld courses is possible.
- Nobody's Perfect Program is set up for one time only due of funding. Please ask staff if you have any queries that come up regarding parenting challenges.
- We also need to acquire more funding in order to expand parenting group times.
5. Name tags - Staff is taking this into consideration. Thank you!
For Circles of Care & Connection Program
1. Please expand your program for children older than 6 years
- In partnership with Boys and Girls Club and ISS of BC, the program for Tweens is offered
2. and mornings.Please extend the hours of the program
- We are currently unable to extend the hours due to funding, please check with staff about programs for families offered by other agencies
3. English classes that can teach our kids the letters in English and Arabic would be amazing, if possible
- More English songs and activities would help us to improve English language skills
- Staff will continue developing new appropriate language activities for children.
5. I wish you can do a workshop on grocery shopping. Sometimes after I buy things I discover they are different from what I wanted.
- We have started planning our 2018 parenting/settlement workshops, several workshops on nutrition/grocery shopping will be offered next year.
Circles of Care and Connection Program
For the December Calendar - CLICK HERE
Looking forward to January...
January 2, Tuesday: Welcome Back!
January 20 - March 3, Fridays - 7 WEEKS: 9:30 AM - 11:30 AM Making Sense of Preschoolers Gordon Neufeld Video Course provides insight into their shyness, separation anxieties, aggression, resistance, oppositionality and more. Making sense of these confusing yet wonderous creatures lays the foundation for intuitive and rewarding parenting. A current Family Centre membership is required. Cost for the program is $70. For more information. contact Flora.
January 27 - March 17, Saturdays: 10 - 11:30 AM 1-2-3 Jump! Physical Literacy for 2.5 - 3.5 yr olds. Have fun with your child moving and learning in new ways. Registration is required.The program is offered free in partnership with Little Mountain Neighbourhood House. We ask that you have a current Family Centre membership to participate. To register, please contact Flora.
wishes you and your family
a very happy and prosperous holiday!
The Circle of Care and Connection children and their families had lots of fun on October 31st while attending our Welcome to Canada drop-in program. They went trick-or-treating around the ISS of BC Welcome Centre. The children enjoyed putting on the costumes and collecting candies. Some of them were tired after visits to numerous offices but very proud of their bags full of various treats. For many of them this was the first Halloween in Canada.
November 13, Monday: Remembrance Day The Family Centre will be CLOSED.
Circles of Care and Connection Program & Update
Pumpkin Patch at Drop-In
The CCC Community Kitchen Program had a special visitor last week. Ahmed Hussen, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada spent some time in our playroom before he delivered an announcement at ISS of BC Welcome Centre. The children, parents and staff enjoyed chatting with the Minister and everyone was happy to see him tasting some of the special dishes that the families prepared that day.
Annual General Meeting
for the Mount Pleasant Family Centre Society!
Tuesday, October 17, 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM
So that we can prepare enough food and provide enough childcare, please register your attendance by replying to this email or by calling us (604) 872-6757. In your RSVP, please include your name, your child(ren)'s names and ages, and your member number (if you have it handy).
Please note: Only those people with current memberships are allowed to vote and/or become board members. You are welcome to update your membership online or in person at the drop-in before the meeting. Membership fees will not be collected at the AGM.
Thank you for your continued participation. We hope to see you at the AGM!
October 10, Tuesday: In honour for Vancouver Family Place Day, there will be a special craft families can do together. Hope to see you there!
October 10 - November 24, Tuesdays 1-3 PM and Fridays 9:30-11:30 AM: ABC Time On these days, we close off part of our playroom to run a small kindergarten readiness program. The drop-in is still open, but the play space is smaller! For more information about our ABC program, please speak with Ewa or Maria.
October 11, Wednesday: Fire Drill During morning Drop-In, we will have a fire drill at 10:15 am. This can be a fun and/or interesting experience, but it will definitely be a different sort of day for everyone. We will use a hand-held bell (not our building's alarm bell) to alert the beginning of the drill.
October 17, Tuesday: 5:30 - 7:30 pm Annual General Meeting All current members are welcome to join us for a potluck dinner provided by the existing Board Members) upstairs in the playroom. After dinner, the adults will go downstairs for the meeting and the children will stay upstairs to play with the childcare providers. Please register your attendance by calling the Family Centre 604-872-6757 and include your name, your child(ren)'s names and ages and your member number.
Program in progress...
CLICK HERE to view the October schedule and families are welcome to check out the Family Drop-In Program (see below).
Annual membership runs until May 2018, and costs $45. Membership fees are a much needed part of our annual revenue and help fund our Family Drop-In program, parent education, workshops, special events and seasonal celebrations. Membership is an integral part of community participation and an effective way to contribute to our sustainability. If you did not have a membership or renewed, please go directly to our membership page. To renew your membership please go to CanadaHelps.org. When you visit the Family Centre, you can pay using cash, credit card, or cheque. Please speak to our staff and they will help you.