Deadline February 8.
1/200 chance to win a Gift of Flight from West Jet!Join us for local beer, wine and bites from many of our Mount Pleasant eateries accompanied by live music on Thursday, March 8.
February 12, Monday: Family Day The Family Centre will be CLOSED. Enjoy this time with your family.
February 13 - March 23, Tuesdays 1- 3 PM, and Fridays 9:30 - 11:30 AM: ABC Time On these days, we close off part of our playroom to run a small kindergarten readiness program. The drop-in is still open, but the play space is smaller! For more information about our ABC program, please speak with Ewa or Maria.
February 22, Thursday: Dental Visit during PM Baby Drop-In.
February 28, Wednesday: Dental Visit Screening during AM Drop-In for ages 1-3 years old who don't have regular dental check ups.
Tuesdays, until April 3: 1:30 - 2:30 PM Sound, Movement, and Play is a fun folk song approach developed by the Living Language Institute that engages children and their parents and caregivers in singing, movement and social play. It is easy and fun to participate for parents and their young children!
Wednesdays, until April 11: 1:00-3:00PM Healthy Together is an innovative and unique family education program that brings families together to learn to make healthy choices and build healthy relationships. It is offered thanks to financial contribution from the Public Health Agency of Canada. To register please call Sanja, 778 372 6552.
Have you lost something? Please check out the Lost and Found bin next time you are at the Family Centre. There are many things that need to be claimed such as hats, diaper bags, hoodies and enviro mugs. If you don't know where the Lost and Found bin is, please ask a staff and they will direct you to its location.
Our annual fundraiser, Savour our Neighbourhood, is coming up on Thursday, March 8th and it will be an evening of local food, wine and craft beer pairings, and local entertainment.
Pre - Event Preparation (2-5 positions)
Several hours prior to the start of the event, set up of large poster board on easel at entrance with acknowledgements to Sponsors/Donors; arranging cocktail tables (cloths, tea-lights/holders and printed material); arranging the "look" of the main tables with platters & wine flights/beer (in conjunction with food coordinators; including napkins, forks, plates, etc.); arranging prizes on tables; set up MPFCS display board; putting out some flower arrangements; etc.*Availability in the day of March 8th is required. Interest in event planning and/or decorating an asset. *
General Helpers (3 positions)
Assist in various areas as assigned by the Volunteer Coordinators. For example, hosting the silent auction table, assisting with reception, assisting with end of silent auction to ensure end times are observed.
Venue Tear down (6 positions)
Collecting platters, photo collages, table cloths, display boards, flower arrangements, etc. Lifting and carrying involved.
Servers and Bussers (6 positions)
Responsible for keeping tables tidy and clear of empty plates and glasses. Ensuring each station has adequate serving utensils etc. *Serving it Right certificate an asset but not required.*
Kitchen Assistant (2 positions)
Assist the Kitchen Manager as required, ensuring that food is being attractively presented and that all necessary cutlery, serving dishes etc are in place. Also coordinates arrival and organization/refrigeration of food as required.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Mount Pleasant Family Centre Society
The Baby Drop-In Program will be open Thursday Dec. 14th for the last session before the holidays. Program will reopen on January 5, 2017.
The last day for Family Drop-In is Thursday, December 21 - AM Drop-In only.
December 21 (afternoon) - January 1: The Family Centre will be CLOSED for Winter Holidays. We will be reopen on Tuesday, January 2 with regular program hours.
Thank you to those who filled out our annual survey. We appreciate all your feedback. Here are some program responses to your inquiries and statements:
For Family Drop-In Program
1. More books that describe diverse families
- Staff will be purchasing some new books for the child and adult library. Stay tuned! Any parent suggestions are always welcomed.
2. Infant Program 2 times a week - We are unable to expand our program due to funding and time, however, here are some other Baby Drop-In and Regular Family Drop-In Programs in the community:
- You and your infant are welcome to attend our regular drop-in hours, where we provide a baby space downstairs and babies can go upstairs during singing time.
- Raven Song Community Health Centre
- Creekside Community Centre - Infant Sing and Grow Program (scheduled program)
- Mount Pleasant Neighbourhood House - Just Play! Family Drop-In
3. Garden program outside - We do offer a family garden program in the summer. We usually look for interested families in the spring via newsletter or face to face. Please talk to Flora if you are interested in gardening.
4. Parents could re-do some parenting courses - Please talk with staff regarding specific interest.
- Retaking in the Circle of Security and Neufeld courses is possible.
- Nobody's Perfect Program is set up for one time only due of funding. Please ask staff if you have any queries that come up regarding parenting challenges.
- We also need to acquire more funding in order to expand parenting group times.
5. Name tags - Staff is taking this into consideration. Thank you!
For Circles of Care & Connection Program
1. Please expand your program for children older than 6 years
- In partnership with Boys and Girls Club and ISS of BC, the program for Tweens is offered
2. and mornings.Please extend the hours of the program
- We are currently unable to extend the hours due to funding, please check with staff about programs for families offered by other agencies
3. English classes that can teach our kids the letters in English and Arabic would be amazing, if possible
- More English songs and activities would help us to improve English language skills
- Staff will continue developing new appropriate language activities for children.
5. I wish you can do a workshop on grocery shopping. Sometimes after I buy things I discover they are different from what I wanted.
- We have started planning our 2018 parenting/settlement workshops, several workshops on nutrition/grocery shopping will be offered next year.
Circles of Care and Connection Program
For the December Calendar - CLICK HERE
Looking forward to January...
January 2, Tuesday: Welcome Back!
January 20 - March 3, Fridays - 7 WEEKS: 9:30 AM - 11:30 AM Making Sense of Preschoolers Gordon Neufeld Video Course provides insight into their shyness, separation anxieties, aggression, resistance, oppositionality and more. Making sense of these confusing yet wonderous creatures lays the foundation for intuitive and rewarding parenting. A current Family Centre membership is required. Cost for the program is $70. For more information. contact Flora.
January 27 - March 17, Saturdays: 10 - 11:30 AM 1-2-3 Jump! Physical Literacy for 2.5 - 3.5 yr olds. Have fun with your child moving and learning in new ways. Registration is required.The program is offered free in partnership with Little Mountain Neighbourhood House. We ask that you have a current Family Centre membership to participate. To register, please contact Flora.
wishes you and your family
a very happy and prosperous holiday!